Civil Division
Civil cases involve a lawsuit in which one party sues another to:

  • Recover money or property.
  • To enforce a contract.
  • To collect damages for injury.
  • To protect some civil right.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a limited civil case?

Limited Civil cases are those involving $25,000 or less, except small claims cases.

What is an unlimited civil case?

Unlimited Civil cases are all other cases except family law or probate cases.

What is a Delay Reduction (DR) case?

Delay Reduction cases are civil cases in which the court imposes timelines in order to make sure these cases are resolved quickly, usually within one year.

What is the fee for filing a civil case?

The current fees for filing an initial complaint, petition or application can be found here.

If you are low-income, you may be able to qualify for a fee waiver and not have to pay a filing fee. Fee Waiver forms and information can be found here.

Are any of the forms for filing or responding to a civil case available online?

The Judicial Council has developed several forms which can be used in civil cases. These forms can be found at

How Can I Respond to a Civil Complaint?

A defendant can file an answer to a complaint, or if the complaint fails to comply with applicable procedural laws, the defendant can file a motion challenging the legality of the complaint, such as a demurrer or a motion to strike.

What is a Demurrer?

A demurrer is a motion brought by a defendant to challenge a defective complaint. Usually a demurrer is brought when the defendant does not believe the plaintiff has stated sufficient facts to support the legal theory, or cause of action, upon which the plaintiff’s claim is based. Sometimes a demurrer may be brought because the statute of limitations has run.

A demurrer can be brought as to the entire complaint, or as to one or more causes of action.

What is a Motion to Strike?

A motion to strike is usually brought to request the court delete an improper allegation or statement from a complaint. Sometimes a motion to strike is directed to one word or phrase, sometimes it is directed to an entire cause of action. A motion to strike can also be filed with a demurrer, but the court charges a separate motion fee for each motion.

What is Discovery?

There are different methods of gathering information in a case to prepare the case for trial. These methods, which include depositions, interrogatories, demands to produce documents, requests for admission, and site inspections, are collectively referred to as "discovery."

Can A Case Be Settled Out of Court?

Yes, if the parties are willing. You can use alternative dispute resolution, generally called ADR. ADR refers to a number of ways of resolving conflicts without a lawsuit or, if you have filed a lawsuit, without a trial.

These alternative ways are used for many types of disputes, including divorces, business and real estate disputes, landlord/tenant disputes, disputes with contractors, financial disputes, employer-employee disputes, inheritance disputes, and conflicts between neighbors.

Information on Inyo County Superior Court’s Civil Mediation Program, including a list of mediators, can be found here.

Where can I get further information on the rules and procedures relating to civil cases?

Rules of court, statutes, case law and other materials that may be useful to understanding the procedures in civil cases are available at the Inyo County law library on the Inyo County Law Library on the ground floor of the Independence Courthouse. The phone number for the Library is (760) 878-0260. Please note that the law librarians can only direct you to helpful books and other materials. They cannot answer legal questions or assist you in preparing your case.

Contact Information:

168 North Edwards
Independence, CA 93526
Phone: (760) 872-3038

Monday through Friday:
8:30am to 4:00pm
Closed from noon to 1:00pm each day

301 West Line St.
Bishop, CA 93514

Phone: (760) 872-3038   

Monday through Friday:
8:30am to 4:00pm
Closed from noon to 1:00pm each day

© 2017 Superior Court of the County of Inyo